Tuesday, July 13, 2010

What 100 Stars Want Most in 1956 - Pat O'Brien

Pat O'Brien (November 11, 1899 - October 15, 1983) played the typical Irishman in many films - usually a Priest or a Policemen. He was well loved in films, and I have to say I adored him in every film I've seen him in. Some of them include: Some Like It Hot, Angels With Dirty Faces, and Knute Rockne All American.
Some Pat O'Brien Trivia:
  • These photos were of Pat's daughter Brigid's 1946 Christening
  • Pat had four children, 3 of whom were adopted.
  • Mr. O'Brien was married only once. It was to actress Eloise Taylor. They were married on January 23, 1931 and were married until his death.
  • Pat was lifelong friends with Spencer Tracy and James Cagney
  • He made 7 films with James Cagney
  • Pat was politically Right Wing
  • He wore a toupee
  • Pat voiced the famous film line: "Win One for the Gipper"
  • He made his last acting appearance in 1974 on Happy Days
  • Pat O'Brien died of a heart attack at the age of 83
What did Pat Wish for in 1956:
"Personally, I hope God grants me the time to live to celebrate my silver wedding anniversary - 25 years with the same girl - and I'm a lucky man."
They did make it. In fact, Pat and his wife were married for 52 years. I hope my husband and I can be so lucky!
"As an actor, I'd like any really good motion picture part, but particularly I'd like to do the life of John McGraw or General Patton."
Unfortunately George C. Scott played General Patton, and I'm not sure of a film about John McGraw. John McGraw is known as the best baseball player to become a manager with an astounding 2,669 wins to his credit.
"As a citizen, I'd like all peace and no smog"
I love Pat in Angels With Dirty Faces and Knute Rockne. For those who want to know, Knute Rockne will be playing on Turner Classic Movies July 27, 2010 at 9:45 am est.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I'll be checking out Knute Rockne this month then!. His friend Cagney wanted the role but Notre Dame University had control over who could play Knute and they wanted Pat O'Brien- a dedicated Catholic. Though Cagney lost the part he admitted that Pat was perfect for the role and was proud his friend got it.

A said...

I had no idea. Thanks for the great info, Sarah!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This