Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Metropolis Monday

I was totally blown away by the restored version of Metropolis (1927) which premiered on TCM last Sunday. Another 30+ minutes of the film were discovered in Argentina in 2008. A fascinating documentary about the find premiered after Metropolis, and it was fascinating to see what goes into changing an official version of a film. I had no idea there were so many people who claim they have a lost film, but really don't.


The visuals were absolutely stunning. A powerful message about class, industrialization, utopias, etc. I could go on and on, but you should see it for yourselves. The restored version including the new footage will be released on DVD tomorrow, November 16, 2010 and the Blu-ray will be released a week later on November 23, 2010. For more info about it check out
Kino's site.


To quote Maria, "There can be no understanding between the hand and the brain unless the heart acts as mediator"



3 comments:

Matthew Coniam said...

Content-wise I share Lang's own low view of Metropolis, but visually it's amazing. I can't wait to see this version. What did the new footage mostly consist of?

Boom said...

Sadly, I've only seen the Japanese version of this film... I totally forgot to watch the German version until I saw your post, so Netflix here I come :)

Witchcrafted Life said...

That quote is absolutely wonderful. Very thought provoking - nearly philosphical really - and elegantly poetic at the same time.

I've heard of this film before but haven't had a chance to see it yet. I will certainly add it to my "must watch" vintage movie list. Thank you!


Many thanks as well, Amanda dear, for your wonderfully lovely recent comments over at Chronically Vintage. I sincerely appreciate you stopping in for a visit.


Wishing you a blissfully beautiful day,
Jessica

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This