Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Favorite Foods of Famous Stars 7


Here is the lovely Kathleen Burke's meal. Not that bad. Couldn't find what "toasted thinsies" are, but there things called "thinsies" which are kind of like Melba Toast. Maybe that's what they meant.


Finding info on Kathleen is next to impossible. She didn't have a very long career, and was in mainly B (or lower) films in the 1930s.


What is cool is that she entered her picture in a contest by Paramount for the lead in Island of Lost Souls and won!



She was fired from Paramount in 1936 and appeared in only a few more films. Her last role was 1938's Rascals

Unfortunately after 1940 (when she was doing radio in New York) there is no info about her until her death in 1980 of bronchitis



Check out Kathleen with Charles Laughton in the Island of the Lost Souls trailer. She is billed simply as "Panther Woman" :)

5 comments:

avintagespirit (Lizzy) said...

Hmmm, I don't think I've ever heard of Kathleen Burke before. It was interesting to find out a little bit about her though! The menu is pretty entertaining.
Where'd you find the luncheon menu? I thought it was interesting that back than they would have a vegetarian menu.

A said...

I found the menu in a 1934 book I bought, "Favorite Foods of Famous Stars". I have been putting a new page from the book up every day. Click on the tag Favorite . . . and you can see some of the others.

Juliette. said...

Wow-- how interesting. I'd not heard of her either, though I suppose I've seen her without realizing it. :)

Didn't you say Lona Andre tried for Panther Woman as well?

Coralie Cederna Johnson said...

So many of the early starlets seemed to just disappear but the film industry was a difficult place to find work. A film here, one there, but only a few became truly famous. Many hopefuls. This is so interesting and I see from your other blogs that you are a librarian. Books are life! It's that simple! I love to read and often enjoy (still) teen books too but it seems the older ones have more to offer at least for me! Great post!

A said...

Lorne Andre was up for the role of Panther Woman as well (but didn't get it of course)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This