Monday, December 3, 2012

Nuggets of Note - December 3, 2012



Seventeen Magazine; 1940s (I have a copy of this  - love it!)
Adored Vintage has some great magazine covers from the early days of Seventeen Magazine.  If only we could go back to those more innocent times.

Neatorama has a great history of the Crossword Puzzle

Silver Screen Modiste features a list of great Hollywood books that are definitely on my wishlist.

Los Angeles Morgue Files has a brief post about the Hollywood Blacklist  Some of my favorites that were blacklisted:  Paul McGrath (radio), Margo, Burl Ives, Dashiell Hammett, Orson Welles, and P.D. Eastman (author of Go, Dog, Go!, Are Your My Mother?, and The Best Nest).

Mental Floss has some funny Mustache Patents for Movember.

Jane Austen's World features a trip to the 1790 Ice House at Hampton Mansion.  It's fascinating to learn ways in which we lived.

Go Retro has pages from a 1941 Lord and Taylor Christmas Catalog.  There is also a fun post about how to make a Polish Porcupine ornament.  I'm definitely going to try this one!

I definitely am putting these items I found on American Duchess on my wishlist.  Any of these would make a vintage lifestyle much more fun.

GlamourDaze has a great guide on how to be a 1930s Platinum Blonde.  I think I would make a terrible blonde, so I like this purely for research. 

Stars and their cars always make for great photos.  My Love of Old Hollywood has part 3 of a series on the subject. 

While thinking of what to make for a Christmas Feast, it's fun to check out a Bristol Tavern Christmas Feast from 1788 from Food History Jottings.

And since I've been thinking of ultimate Christmas Wish List, Sotheby's is auctioning off a first edition of Emma signed by Jane Austen.  Never going to get this one, but one can wish.

A more reasonable Christmas Wish is a replica Maltese Falcon from Hollywood Studios.  The stuff dreams are made of.


Ann Rutherfor'd dress from Pride and Prejudice


Vintage Film Costume Collector has a delightful post about one of Ann Rutherford's gowns from Pride and Prejudice.  It's so much fun to see the dress in color since the film is black and white.


Page from 1892 The Color Printer


Letterology continues to please.  This time with a great book from 1892 The Color Printer.

For those of us Bibliophiles, PhiloBiblos has a fascinating post about the Bay Psalm Book of 1640, the known copies, and their provenance.

In the same vein, I found a wicked-cool story about 400-year-old playing cards.  I don't care if they took mercury to make them, I definitely wouldn't turn them down.

Noir and Chick Flicks has a great highlight post about Barbara Stanwyck, TCM's Star of the Month for December.

Architecture can be a great influence in many things, so I love the blog Daytonian in Manhattan, which gives the history of New York City buildings.  They have a great post about the Library Hotel, a building which named each floor after a Dewey Decimal category.  How cool is that?

If you are looking for a gift for men, one of the most difficult things to do in my opinion, the Art of Manliness has a great gift guide.  They also have a fun article this week about the history of cribbage.


Nathan's Hot Dog Neon Sign from Collectors Weekly

Collectors Weekly has a great article about the history of Neon Signs.  I found it fascinating.  It made me want to go sign hunting!


Michelin Poster 1898 from Neatorama


Neatorama has a great post on the names of mascots.  The appearance change of the Michelin Man still upsets me.  I loved him fat, and frankly, I want to think of my tires as inflated - not on a diet.  They also have a fun post about the recently passed Larry Hagman and the history of Popeye.





























No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This