Sunday, June 20, 2010

What 100 Stars Want in 1956 - George Nader

George Nader (October 19, 1921 - February 4, 2002) was born in Pasadena, California and started acting at Pasadena Playhouse. Naturally, he got noticed and started work in films beginning in 1951. I can't say I've seen him in any films, but he is best known for his role of Roy in the 3-D cheestastic Robot Monster (1953). The 6'1" 180 actor was largelly overlooked by Hollywood for the likes of Rock Hudson and Tony Curtis. Due to an alledged love affair with Rock Hudson, Nader went to Europe in the early 1960s and got plenty of roles. George was in fact involved with Rock's secretary, Mark Miller, who became his lifelong companion. After injuring his eyes in a 1974 accident, Nader retired and became a writer.

The Cheestastic Trailer for Robot Monster (1953) Some George Nader Trivia:
  • He won the Golden Globe for Most Promising Newcomer in 1954
  • George quit acting in the U.S. to try to distract the public from questioning Rock Hudson's sexuality
  • He wrote the first science fiction book with homosexual robots, 1978's Chrome
  • George was remembered in Rock Hudson's will

What were George's 1956 wishes from Movieland's 1956 Annual:

"Personally, I want to be settled in my new home by 1956. I don't want to travel. I'd rather live here than anywhere in the world."

I feel badly that he felt he had to leave the country because of who he was. I'm a homebody myself, so I understand the desire to have a loving home to go home to.

" Professionally, I hope to do another musical like The Second Greatest Sex"

"As a citizen, I think we all have to want to understand the other fellow = no matter what his race or creed." 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This