Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Why Does 31 Feel Like 100?

So today was my 31st Birthday. I feel like I'm 100 like Sarah Dougherty here (who celebrated her 100th Birthday on December 23, 1921) because of all the physical pain and drama I've been through since my last birthday. I'm proud that I was able to make it through this year. Update on my house - just the basement and craft room left to clean. Did a major clean in the kitchen the past few days. I even waxed the floor!


I spent the day with my husband, brothers and sisters, mom, grandma and grandpa, and my three nieces at my grandparents' cabin. I sent the whole day chasing my 4 year-old nieces in a lake. Pretty exhausting!



(Found in Mom's Basement)

As a treat, my nieces made cookies out of their Easy-Bake Oven and decorated them for my birthday. It was so cute! I always wanted an Easy-Bake Oven when I was a kid.


My husband made Swedish Birthday Cake for my Birthday. I always grew up having Hamloaf and Chocolate Cake for my birthday (my favs), but marriage brings new traditions. My husband's family always made this for their birthdays, and it is quite delicious. It's basically yellow cake with a layer of mashed bananas, a layer of whipped cream, a layer of strawberry jam, and covered in whipped cream. Yummy!



This year has been very lean, but my husband spoils me. Since I love Old Time Radio, he got me a set for my birthday present. This time it's I Was a Communist For the FBI. Fabulous show. Dana Andrews is fantastic in it, and it is an insight into 1950s life. The Radio Show also frequently has William Conrad on it, who is basically an OTR god. There are some free episodes at Archive.org



One of the other cool things I found was the original sconces for over the fireplace. My present from my fabulous mother was to have my uncle (who is an electrician) fix and put them back up. They had been taken out and covered over in the 1970s or 1980s. But they look super cool and now I finally have a light in my living room. Yeah!
Best Wishes,
Amanda



7 comments:

Vande Historic Costuming said...

Happy Birthday!
(and that cake looks yummy!)

BaronessVonVintage said...

Happy birthday! Hope your 31st year is awesomely fabulous!

Lapetitemort said...

Happy Birthday!
Looks like you got some really nice surprises. =)

LPM

Lapetitemort said...

Happy Birthday!
Looks like you got some nice surprises! =)

LPM

La Dama said...

31? is not old.. I am 36..opps you didnt hear it from me,lol
love the scones very nice...and would love to try some of that yummy cake ;0
http://doradadama.blogspot.com/

Lolita said...

You have a Swedish husband? I must say, Sweden is one of the coolest contries in the world. Some days. Funny that we share June 16th as birthday, too! Belated congratulations :)

Matthew Coniam said...

Belated congrats from me too! Turned 37 on the 20th, so we're all in this thing together.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This