Friday, September 25, 2009

Redhead Beauty Colors You Wear

Today is the last part of our 1930s Good Housekeeping seminar on Redheaded beauties. We will be focusing on clothes to wear in order to compliment your gorgeous hair color.



And now we come to a question of the utmost importance to you - the choice of costume colors. Most of us when we judge a color, think first, "What does it do to my skin?" You should say, "What does it do to my hair?": The dress you wear may either dim your halo or make it luminous and lovely.




Green is nearly always good - especially the soft woodsy greens. It is particularly flattering if your skin is fair. If you have lots of freckles or your skin is tanned, don't risk any bright green, but keep to dark, rich tones. Green may have a sallowing effect on the skin and is likely to emphasize freckles.


I adore green. It's my favorite color to wear. And I have no problem highlighting my freckles. I know it was seen as bad beauty in the 1930s, and still is by many today, but I have always loved my freckles. Probably because of the way I grew up. My Grandma Tudy used to call them Angel kisses, which is a much nicer way to think about freckles.






Blue in clear, vivid shades is a perfect color with many redheads and is generally becoming if the hair is light. But it has a tendency to cut down the individuality of many of you unless you stick to shades of green-blue-aquamarine, turquoise, and peacock shades. These make a glorious contrast to bronze hair. One redhead should not wear blue - the girl with a bright flaming topknot. It may made her hair appear garish, and it nearly always makes her seem more ordinary, but interesting, than she really is.



I have to admit, I'm not a huge fan of blue. I don't think it looks great with my complexion. My hair is more auburn than bright red, but I just don't like how blue looks on me. For some reason my blue shirts always turn a sort of reddish in the laundry anyway so it is kind of a pain. I'd much rather wear green, yellow, or pink.




Ivory white, pale peach (but not pink), ecru, and beige are usually very becoming to all red-haired types. Black is good, too, if you are the vivid type of redhead, but don't wear it if it makes your eyes and skin look washed out.


Black and white wash me out a LOT, so I try to avoid wearing them. If I wear white in a picture (like I unfortunately had done in my student ID in college, I look like a ghost).





Brown, especially in warm russet shades, makes a lovely harmony with red hair. Bronze, copper, carnelian, and autumn-leaf shades of just the right intensity bring out the lovely lights.


I actually like to wear dark browns. It looks pretty good on me. Unfortunately, my husband doesn't like it, so I usually try not to wear it too much.



4 comments:

LandGirlontheHomeFront said...

I've never seen Lucille Ball looking so sultry!

Lolita said...

What an amusing post! I always dye my hair red, so this was interesting. I don't like blue neither, I go with green. But since I'm a "vivid type of redhead" I often wear black too! Hehe.
"Angel kisses", how sweet! Freckles are pretty, by the way.

Jessica Cangiano said...

What a lovely post to cap of this series of tips for redheads with, sweetie! I veer towards darker blues (especially navy, which is one of the best colours on me), deep teal, brown (rich browns), just about any member of the burgundy/plum family, black (sometimes), grey, and red (typically shades with bluer undertones). I'm not adverse to other colours either and will try any shade...once ;D

Big hugs,
♥ Jessica

avintagespirit (Lizzy) said...

Lovely post! I enjoyed the pictures of the old actresses and the advice, even though sadly I'm not a redhead :( I've always longed to be, and my skin isn't quite fair enough to pull off the look if I dyed mine red ;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This